Is this paid teaching? YES. You can earn up to $750/month.
What are the fees? Program fee is $750 which includes host family lodging and meals the first month.
What is the minimum stay? February 1st- December 15th (with breaks in between)
Where exactly is it? San Ramon (and surrounding areas), Costa Rica
What exactly will I be doing? Teaching your own group of students for an entire academic year.
Bilingual schools are growing in prominence as parents realize just how important it is for their children to learn English. Not only to learn English, but to learn it from a Native speaker. Due to this, schools are actively looking for Native speakers and have turned to teach and travel providers to reach international candidates.
– Gaining valuable international teaching experience
– Exploring Costa Rica
– Learning just as much Spanish and culture from the students as they learn English and culture from you
– Opportunities to make new local and international friends
You will be contracted the same as Costa Rican teachers and will have the same schedule and same benefits which include:
- Vacation pay (Holy week, first two weeks in July, one week in September)
- Health insurance
- Full time or part time positions
- Pay (per month): 600-750USD full, 250-400USD part time (actual amount will depend on exchange rate)
- Aguinaldo (end of year bonus pay)
- Time off as needed to renew visa (teacher required to leave country every 90 days for 3 days)
February 1st to December 15th. Must have full time commitment start to finish. Travel opportunities during breaks and visa renewals. Teacher may travel home to visit during long breaks.
Your first month’s host family accommodation will be covered in the program fee. This will give you a chance to get acclimated to the culture and make friends. After the first month you can decide if you want to continue with the family or you can move to an apartment.
Estimated monthly budget:
- $200-$300 lodging
- $200-$300 food
- $5-$20 public bus transportation to/from school (most apartments/host families are walking distance from school
- $100-$200 estimate for visa renewal trips every 90 days
Ages 20 and up. Must have prior teaching experience or be studying to be a teacher.
Should know some basic Spanish, however all teaching will be done in English.
When Can I apply?
Schools are very anxious to fill their staffing needs as soon as possible so it is recommended to apply as soon as possible as positions are opened until filled.
Tasks as a teacher:
o In charge of group for entire school year
o Guide students on pronunciation, listening, writing, and reading skills
o Participate in school events, fundraisers, and extra curricular activities
o Teach curriculum that school provides
o Placement assistance: Follow-up, assistance throughout the placement
o Teacher training provided by school
o Pre departure information pack – know more about just where exactly you are going
o In country orientation
o First month accommodation with host family
o Airport pick up
o Assistance 24/7 from local staff
Flights, visas, passports, and travel medical insurance are not included.
- Please send email with cover letter or letter of motivation along with resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once received, you will be contacted to set up an interview.
- If accepted, will be required to fill out medical form, profile sheet, sign contract and submit $200 deposit if two or more months from start. If less than two months prior to start, full $750 fee will be due. Once payments are made, no refunds.
- Send flight information (check with Costa Rica Frika for recommendations on how to buy the flight).
- Send photo copy of passport.
- Get excited!